Amore Mio

 Bakery: Amore Mio 
Address: 270 Bernard Ave, Kelowna BC 
Website: http://amoremiogelato.com/
Style: Italian
Price: $$  

I went to this decidedly European coffee/gelato shop a few times before it really dawned on me that they have a pretty impressive selection of Italian cakes and pastries. Given that the closest Italian bakery is probably Vancouver, Amore Mio is pretty much your only local destination for specialties like tiramisu, cannoli, bombolini and other less prevalent Italian treats, not to mention the prices are very reasonable. I can't believe it took me this long to make a Cake Tour of it! 
I took a piece of the tiramisu along with a slice of the torta caprese. Nonetheless, the tiramisu was really good. Many places turn this into a cake, but I liked how this one still retained its more dessert nature. Plenty of cream interspersed with soft biscotti and coffee. Of course, it was lacking in the booze department, but they always are... unless you come for my tiramisu. ;)
I always associate torta caprese with chocolate, but they had a chocolate as well as a lemon one; I took the lemon. This cake is traditionally made with almond flour (and therefore gluten-free) and the use of almond flour gives it an incredible chewy texture. This is complemented by a delicate hint of lemon. It truly is a great place to pop into for a sweet treat, even when you're not in the mood for ice cream - and if you're lucky and there are some fresh bombolini made that day, be sure to grab one! 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment