Westwold General Store

Bakery: Westwold General Store
Address: 4876 BC-97, Westwold BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$-$$$

Driving along Hwy 97 en route to Kamloops, you drive through the small town of Westwold. Right past the gimmicky diner, there's a sign that might make you just stop in the middle of the road and frantically turn in: "fresh hot donuts". It's possible. In my case, it involved doing a U-turn down the road and coming back to the general store, a sort of convenience store/restaurant/cafe with a little bit of everything. Except doughnuts, that is.

That's right, I ran inside and found the store smelling of freshly fried bacon and curiously lacking in what that game-changing sign advertised. Where were the doughnuts!?! At the risk of looking a little too doughnut-hungry, I would have asked at the front counter had I not received such a chilly reception upon entering. Did you need to order them or something? Instead, I checked out their small selection of baked goods, ranging from already saran-wrapped buns, scones and pies. It was better than nothing and a great way to put Hwy 97 on the Cake Tour map.
I opted for the cinnamon bun ($3.25). Given the lack of doughnuts and my subsequent disappointment, I had a bit of a bias against it going in; however, it almost irritated me (ha ha hate when that happens...) when I unwrapped it, took a bite... and found it to be quite good. Sticky and yet not too gooey, this was packed with cinnamon flavour and had a tasty partially-melted icing/syrupy topping. Fresh, with nice texture, good taste, I would have given half a star more for the cinnamon bun alone... except I really wanted those doughnuts. :(

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment