Gebacken [Mimi's Cake Tour]

Bakery: Gebacken 
Address: Sennyuji Monzencho 23, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto 
Website: http://www.gebacken.jp/
Style: Japanese, European
Price: $-$$ 

With three locations in Kyoto, Gebacken is a fairly typical European-style Japanese bakery with affordable prices and a nice selection of baked goods, cakes and pastries. As with a great many of these types of bakeries, don't let the German name and little German flags on some products fool you: there really isn't anything here that's trying to be German -- except, perhaps, those omnipresent Baumkuchen. On the contrary, the European-styled baked goods, like flaky croissants and danishes with a variety of fillings, are more French than anything else, but of course that's just me being picky.
 At first glance, I was only trying to decipher the various fillings and didn't want anything with red bean (alas, not a fan); narrowing down my results, I was debating between a few options and finally, I just gave in and fell for that silly face: the bunny bun (120 yen). Looking back, I remember the chocolate from the eyes and swear it was chocolate, and yet my notes say it was strawberry. Was it? With a bit of strawberry jam tucked inside a thick, egg-basted bun, I guess it didn't leave that big an impact with me.
Given the ridiculously low price of 40 yen, I couldn't resist grabbing a matcha croissant. Slightly flaky on the outside with an airy, nicely flavoured, colourful dough, it was more than worth the price, though I would have liked it to be slightly flakier. Still, it proved to be the highlight from this bakery; I could have had six of these! :P

Rating: *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment