The Little Pie Shack [Mimi's Cake Tour X Butter Tart Tour]

Bakery: The Little Pie Shack 
Address: 6 Francis St E, Fenelon Falls ON 
Website: http://www.littlepieshack.com/home.html 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

A little recap: So, some absolute genius at Kawarthas/Northumberland Tourism created the Butter Tart Tour: a "tour" (rather, several smaller tours) of 40+ local bakeries, cafes, markets, and other businesses making and baking their own butter tarts. Participating locations are spread out all over the county, from farms, to small towns, to Peterborough  itself, and are marked with a Butter Tart Tour logo (left) in their window and, surprisingly, no butter tart is alike. On the most recent "tour", I tried five bakeries in five towns and butter tarts (with some extras along the way) were purchased for the big challenge: five butter tarts, all at once.

Fourth place: The Little Pie Shack. Actually, with the exception of my least and most favourite butter tart, the ones in between  were really tough to rank. Two of the three samplers (i.e. everyone except me) hotly disagreed with me; they have the Little Pie Shack third place, stating that these guys and the top two were in a league of their own compared to the bottom two. This may be because of the fantastic flaky, though soft shell with the filling nearly bubbling out of it on the corners. Actually, I would say the shell was worth third place, but the bronze medal winning bakery wowed me with what was left of the filling (and this surprised me). The filling wasn't bad at all: thicker, buttery with a hint of maple syrup. Wow, what a tough, nerve-wracking decision!  Maybe I'll tie for third place after all, especially as the verdict is a little conflicted between these middle two.

In addition to the butter tart, there was also the Oreo cheesecake, which, you may imagine, was composed of a chocolate bottom and then that Oreo "filling". It was actually picked out by someone else, so it wasn't really my choice. I'm not really a North American cheesecake, but this one was alright. The cheesecake aficionado's comment was that it "tasted like cheesecake". I, personally, would have picked something else, but that's me...  

Final verdict: adorable exterior and delicious baked goods, these guys know their pie shells!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment