Pastry Peddler [Mimi's Cake Tour x Butter Tart Tour]

Bakery: Pastry Peddler 
Address: 17 King St E, Millbrook ON
Website: http://thepastrypeddler.blogspot.ca/
Style: Canadian, North American
Price: $$ 

[Location shots pending... need to transfer them from the phone ^^;] So, some absolute genius at Kawarthas/Northumberland Tourism created the Butter Tart Tour: a "tour" (rather, several smaller tours) of 40+ local bakeries, cafes, markets, and other businesses making and baking their own butter tarts. The instant I spotted this last year, the idea blew my mind. You'd think I made the whole thing up! :D I would have started instantly had it not been for the fact that the drive is a fairly long one to get there and to go around to all the towns. Participating locations are spread out all over the county, from farms, to small towns, to Peterborough  itself, and are marked with a Butter Tart Tour logo (left) in their window and, surprisingly, no butter tart is alike. It's brilliant! I could probably write a whole post about what a great idea this is, but I have a whole bunch of baked goods waiting. ^^;

On the most recent "tour", I tried five bakeries in five towns and butter tarts (with some extras along the way) were purchased for the big challenge: five butter tarts in a row. Luckily, there were three of us since even with a third of each tart, I felt afterwards like I had eaten two blocks of butter probably two days' worth of calories in one sitting. Of course, it was worth it. :P

Let's start with the least favourite. Fifth place: Pastry Peddler is more a cafe/lunch spot than a bakery, despite their name. They do have quite a bit of classic, homestyle baked goods (cakes, cookies, pies), both for eating there or taking home with you. In addition to the butter tart, we also tried a chocolate square, which looked unique, but tasted like a giant Oh Henry bar (or the one with peanuts... I can't say I eat chocolate bars, so I don't really remember from my trick-or-treating days). It was really sweet and quite rich; I'm not sure how you could eat half in one go.

The butter tart. Well, I like to say that the key to a successful and tasty butter tart is the perfect combination of two components: the filling and the shell. The shell was too thick and dense; it was more of a shortbread shell and, although it did taste good, I didn't think it matched a butter tart. The filling was, in everyone's opinion, too dry. Perhaps it wasn't necessarily that it was dry, but that the shell was so thick that it overpowered what was on the inside and it was hard distinguishing anything. The topping with the pecan pieces on top was interesting, but again, all I really tasted was the shell.

Verdict: good, but the competition was just too fierce.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment