Eva Christina Cakes [RIP]

Bakery: Eva Christina Cakes
Address: 964 St Clair Ave W, Toronto ON
Website: http://evachristinacakes.com/
Style: European, North American, Romanian 

Another find on my tour of St Clair W. This small bakery/cake shop is a little hard to miss and, judging purely by the website and window display, I'd be a little reluctant to go in, simply because it looks like one of those custom cake places that don't really cater to the casual visitor. The name somewhat reinforces this idea, but I'm happy that I did poke my head inside. In fact, it was that "European" that lured me in -- I knew that Italian or Portuguese bakeries (the area has tons) would never be so discreet and so I assumed it had to be a lesser known European and that always excites me. My cake senses weren't wrong. :D Imagine my delight when I spotted Dobos torte slices... but it was the Amandine that gave it away. Yay!

The store itself has about ten or so cakes and pastries ranging from mostly pan-European layered cake slices to rum balls, all available for individual purchase. Selection and quantity were rather limited, but there were quite a few lovely goodies. I don't remember if the bottom shelf had large cakes or is pre-ordering a must? O.o Besides this, there were a couple (literally) of flaky pastries: one turnover and the other a spinach pie. Everything was not only priced and labelled, but there was likewise a small description underneath some of the cakes/pastries.

So, knowing that the Amandine cake proved a huge hit last time it was bought, I couldn't help but try theirs ($3.50) as well. In my opinion, I think that their description of a chocolate brownie doesn't do this delectable chocolate cake justice. Absolutely smothered in Belgian chocolate ganache -- certainly the highlight; it was very well done -- and soaked in a little something special ;), this was one fantastic treat! I can imagine how their Dobos torte must taste! *-*

Secondly, a little something lighter, I took the apple turnover ($1.75 or 2/$3 (latter comes with free coffee)). In truth, I'm not a fan of apple turnovers so I wasn't that optimistic of this one, mainly because the vast majority prove to be a disappointment: bland dough tasting of shortening and that same industrial filling of uncooked, greenish-yellow apples. I've had one too many apple baked goods, be it pies or turnovers or strudels, to know. x_x I am, however, very happy I didn't pass this one up! Fantastic, buttery dough with just enough sugar on top. Not chewy, not soft, just perfectly flaky. And then the apple filling... mmm, perfect! Small pieces of apples cooked until they melt in your mouth. Just as it should be. It's only a shame this place isn't closer to where I live. Then again that could be said of a great many bakeries. :(

Rating: ***1/2

1 comment:

  1. http://mimiscaketour.blogspot.com/2015/03/eva-christina-najlepši Cake on the 🌐🌍🌎🌏💎🤑cakes.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete