Vince's Deli

Bakery: Vince's Deli
Address: 130 Davis Dr, Newmarket ON
Website: http://www.vincesdeli.com 
Style: German
Price: $$-$$$

Another soccer tournament in Newmarket gave me another chance to revisit Newmarket and to try a new bakery. This is the second one and so, one more is needed for me to have an official Newmarket tag, but it looks like that'll take another tournament for me to get some goodies delivered. :)

Nonetheless, Vince's Deli was chosen as this tournament's choice for its close proximity to the fields/offices and the fact that I can never really resist German baking. ^.^ This place is, as the name suggests, a deli first, with imported products, cold cuts and ready food -- the usual. Of course, they do also advertise a bakery, but their selection is a lot smaller in store than what is described online. For one, most products are baked on a made-to-order basis, specifically the German cakes and specialty baked goods. The treats available for purchase are quite limited and mostly include a few danishes, maybe one or two varieties of strudel -- in short, the bakery area is probably typical of many European delis; that is, very small.

However, one of the very few items available were poppy seed strudels ($10.99 each). And guess who got one? :) I have to say this thing looked and smelled better than it tasted. As it sat on the table until it was time to cut it up and taste it, the aroma drove me crazy! Cutting it into slices, I was a little disappointed with the idea of just wrapped some puff pastry dough around this log of poppy seed mass. The mass was quite hard, unusually so, and totally overpowered the sheets of dough. I'm not sure that the texture of the two together was that great. In the end, you got this impression of eating pure poppy seed mass (yes, even I can say it's not that desirable ._.;;), which gets a little much. I also thought that, for what it was and its size, it was pretty pricey. A little bit of a bummer, if you ask me (especially when you have Finnish baked goods in the somewhat-vicinity ;)).

Rating: ** 

No comments:

Post a Comment