European Deli and Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: European Deli and Bakery
Address: 8409 Elbow Dr SW, Calgary AB 
Website: http://eurodeliandbakery.ca/
Style: German
Price: $$ 

Well, I was fortunate enough to be able to try this myself -- the brother stuffed a whole poppy seed roll into his suitcase and that means I can claim this review as my own. Not to mention the fact that I do love my German baked goods. Yay! :)

Anyways, the brother did help out a little bit in mentioning that European Deli is a German deli (complete with your usual cold cuts, sausages, etc) with a fairly varied selection of baked goods and cakes as well, comprised of all your German regulars: poppy seed rolls, classic cakes, Bienenstich, etc.

In accordance with part four of my Cake Tour regulations ("Poppy seed appreciated"), he did indeed choose a great item to sample, a large poppy seed roll ($7.60/each). Had I not known that it was German, I have to say I would have thought it more Eastern European; especially in terms of the denser dough and poppy seed mass, I could have easily taken it for a Polish poppy seed roll, though it was definitely bigger and wider. That being said, the dough was certainly softer and fluffier than I've come to expect from the usually -- though not always -- lacklustre makowiec; I certainly have no complaints. The poppy seed mass was especially quite tasty; nice and generous on those poppy seeds as well!  The brother commented that it had a good amount of poppy seeds and raisins; me, I could have done with less raisins, but that's purely because I don't like raisins. ;) Sadly, I didn't get to try a lot of stuff from this tour *pouts*, including some good and not so good items, but this was certainly leaning more towards the former. A yummy addition to the growing poppy seed tag. ^.^

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment