Van Straten Bakery

Bakery: Van Straten Bakery
Address: RR1, Burford ON (available at the Dutch Shop)
Website: n/a
Style: Dutch
Price: $-$$

Here's the last bakery which I managed to try during my Dutch Shop "cake spree". ;) Van Straten, like The Country, I suspect as coming directly from someone's house given the no-frills packaging and general address and is probably available in other Dutch stores, possibly...

Anyways, these guys have the same typical goodies as the other, so it goes down to which bakery is preferred. My brother picked out for me this time around a six pack of "Almond Tart Deluxe" ($4.10), which differs from the plain, old almond tarts in that they've got raspberry jam along the bottom. To be honest, I didn't find these so great, and they certainly weren't as good as the in-store almond tarts which were... so yummy. The filling itself reminded me more of Danish tarts, so a bit softer, and so I really have nothing bad to say about that. The shells, however, were made of puff pastry and really airy... for something pretty heavy like almond paste filling, the puff pastry didn't match. I mean, they weren't bad (I don't think almond tarts will ever be awful ;D) but at the same time, I wasn't impressed and I've had much better.

Maybe next time, I'd try something else, but the Deluxe almond tart wasn't for me, especially in comparison with the others available.. in the same store!

Rating: **

2 comments:

  1. Do you know is Van Straten's ship to BC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,

      Thanks for visiting my site. Unfortunately, I don't know. I do know that they don't have a physical store and do ship all their goods to various retail locations, so it is possible. The best would probably be to phone them. This should be the right phone number: +1 519-458-4776.

      You could also try other Dutch bakeries; there are quite a few (perhaps in BC as well? I'm not sure there, but I do know there are a couple in Alberta).

      Good luck!
      Mimi

      Delete