The Country Bakery

Bakery: The Country Bakery
Address: Whitby, ON (available at The Dutch Shop, Burlington ON)
Website: n/a
Style: Dutch
Price: $$

The Country Bakery is one of two other bakeries available at the Dutch Shop and, I assume, in other Dutch stores/delis, as the bakery itself gives you the address of someone's house.. O_o At first, I thought I got the name or city wrong, but nope, The Country Bakery in Whitby it is. Nonetheless, given the uh, location, what you get are real home-baked goodies saran-wrapped in aluminum trays and containers; old-fashioned bake sales when people actually baked everything (and that's not just cookies and brownies) somehow came to mind, and I'm not sure why. ;P The small cakes and tarts are fairly simple, but cover pretty much all the basics in terms of Dutch baking and actually have a larger variety than the in-store bakery.

The first time, I picked out this almond cake ($4.95, I believe, for the slab -- accessories are my own ^-^;;;) with this moist almond mass in between two thin layers of dough and then coated with glaze and dotted with candied cherries. This was really good. Not sure if it can beat the almond tarts from the store (see post here), but it was tasty!!

So, I actually ended up returning... well, okay, the brothers went alone on a trip here and I told them to go back and get something else. They came back with a round tin of almond cake ($6.95 for a tin) (which I believe was the filled butter cake (butterkkoek??) I was reading about before going Dutch-bakery hunting ;D) Anyways, so the mom put it aside, claiming the due date was May 24th when it was actually the 10th, and the top started getting mouldy, so it needed to be cut off and bye-bye to the photo opportunity. :( Anyways, it was a thicker (in comparison to the first cake) cake made of more flaky, buttery (the crust on the outside proved this the most) dough filled with that same almond mass and topped (ahem, supposed to be topped) off with sliced almonds. Both were fairly good, though the first one was much better.

Overall, I think I liked these guys the best (I have another bakery coming up) from my uh, Dutch adventures (^^): they had plenty of yummy, home-baked goodies. Buying individual stuff like single cookies or tarts isn't exactly an option and some stuff was at varying levels of freshness (given, no doubt, the wholesome ingredients and drive from Whitby), but it was still a tasty, memorable Cake Tour to Burlington (and there's no need to go to Whitby, lol!). ;)))

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment