Mennonite Baking @ McBride Farmer's Market






Bakery: Mennonite Baking @ McBride Farmer's Market
Address: Steve Kolida Village Park, McBride BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $-$$

So the small town of McBride doesn't have any bakeries, perhaps with the sole exception of a very intriguing sign in front of the Petro Canada advertising freshly baked goods and doughnuts. Maybe the cafe has something homemade as well. I would have gone to check it out had it not been for the fact that it happened to be Friday morning when I was in town and Fridays in the summer mean the local farmer's market is on. Located across from the train station, this small market has two(!) bakery stalls: one was selling slightly more gourmet fare like French-style pastries while the other had trays of freshly baked doughnuts (and people lining up for them) among other things. I had to choose one and, for lack of a better description, I had to go with some good, old-fashioned Mennonite baking!
 Their most popular feature being doughnuts, they have two varieties: little doughnut holes and classic ring doughnuts. The ring doughnuts ($1) were soft, super fresh and nicely glazed with a hint of lemon in the icing. In my opinion, the lemon was a little too overpowering, especially in terms of the smell, but the texture was perfect and the doughnuts themselves were very good. Definitely the star of the show.
I also grabbed a ginger snap ($0.75). Nice and fragrant, this was also freshly baked and thus slightly soft, just like I wanted it. Personally, I love my ginger snaps nice and chewy and this one could have been chewier, but both were still a great treat - and it's so exciting to find Cake Tours in unexpected (rather, unplanned for) places!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment