The Kootenay Bakery

Bakery: The Kootenay Bakery
Address: 377 Baker St, Nelson BC
Website: https://thekootenaybakerycafe.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$ 

I was excited to try this organic bakery co-op out the first time I was in Nelson and put the town on the Cake Tour map; unfortunately, I had to leave very early in the morning -- even before the bakery opened! -- and I had to put it off for another time. That other time did come eventually and this bakery was able to be done. Another point for Mimi! ^-^
Anyways, as stated above, The Kootenay Bakery is a cooperative bakery using locally-sourced organic flour and they make everything (including their jam fillings) from scratch, which is always nice to hear. When I was there, the selection was excellent and the bakery was fully loaded with baked goods. So, essentially, I started out with their blueberry cinnamon bun. This was very fresh and soft, and that was definitely a plus. The glaze was still a bit wet and sticky, the filling perfectly gooey -- this looked delicious and certainly tasted the same.
 While I was digging in to the cinnamon bun, however, a rack of freshly baked cinnamon twist doughnuts were brought out. The smell was irresistible and really, how could I just sit there and not do anything? These were just simple, classic sugared doughnuts with a hint of cinnamon, and so good! Slight crunch on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and they just could not get any fresher. Mmm... nothing beats a fresh twist doughnut!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment