Village Bakery

Bakery: Village Bakery
Address: 104 King St W, Dundas ON 
Website: facebook
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Well, here's a news update for you. I finally got around to changing my header. *points above* That thing has been here from the very beginning and it was well past its time. So, there's a new and hopefully improved one; at the very least, I can say with confidence that my Photoshop skills have advanced. :) And also, I've been working on my series of guides and got down the foundation for... the guide to the best doughnuts! You can check out all guides at the bottom of the site or click here.

 *

Village Bakery has been on my radar for some time now, but because they're closed on Sundays, it's taken a while for it to work around that. Located inside the old Post Office building in downtown Dundas, this bakery has all the classic baked goods of a small-town bakery. This includes pies, squares, scones, tarts, and possibly cinnamon buns (I didn't see them if they were there). Two items were sampled this time around: the cranberry scone and the rhubarb square.
Despite taking it, I have a hard time determining the difference between scones. Maybe I'm not even the biggest fan of these English staples, but nonetheless, this was a fairly good one. It had lots of fruit which moistened the otherwise dense, "scone dough". The more crusty top rolled with sugar was also a nice touch.
The rhubarb square was without a doubt the better of the two. A really good crumble on top with cinnamon and sugar (maybe a little too much sugar which then turned hard in some places). Nice dough on the bottom with tasty fruit in the middle. Though the concept and taste was good, this would have been so much better if the bottom layer would have been thinner and there would have been more rhubarb; as it was, the square was too doughy.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment