Rocket Bakery & Fresh Food

Bakery: Rocket Bakery & Fresh Food
Address: 272 Water St, St. John's NL
Website: http://rocketfood.ca/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

And the Cake Tour has left the mainland! ^^ Yes, in my desperate search to find where I want to live most in Canada (a search proving more difficult and complicated than I imagined), I took a plane from Halifax to St. John's, which I had been itching to visit for years. Well, and somewhere along the way, there were bakeries! ;)

Let's begin! Rocket is *the* downtown bakery, though it is more than baked goods. In fact, it's divided down the middle with cafe-fare (salads, soups) on one side and the bakery-proper on the other. The latter features a variety of home-style baked goods like cinnamon buns, partridgeberry scones along with pain au chocolat and cake slices. Items are labelled and relatively well priced. They open fairly late, but coming there in the evening will leave you empty-handed; I actually popped in, saw there was nothing, and then returned the next morning for some fresh cinnamon buns!

Cinnamon buns always make my day!
I love cinnamon buns after all; I spotted these on the sign first ($2.75) and then saw these lightly iced, "Maritime" (others I've had in NB and NS were very similar and unlike buns from anywhere else) versions of one of my favourite classics. No messy cinnamon and icing here, and that's exactly like I like it: soft fluffy dough with a drier cinnamon mass wound round (and then got nice and gooey in the middle) with some icing drizzled over top. Oh yeah, this was a great one!

Rocket seems to be the natural start to a Cake Tour of St. John's and what a start it was: fresh and tasty baked goods, just how I like them.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment