Hagabakarí [Mimi's World Tour]



Bakery: Hagabakarí
Address: Hagamelur 67, Reykjaví
Website: n/a 
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $$ 

Last year, my lodging was in this neighbourhood and so I went to this bakery on my last day in Reykjavik, only to find that it was closed for the long weekend. Not being anywhere in the area this year, it was nonetheless the last bakery in Reykjavik proper that I still needed to review, so I made the walk over here and have officially done every actual bakery in the city! A few in outlying cities still remain to be done and the cafes are next, but I am on my way to conquering Iceland! Yes! ^o^

Anyways, this place is your typical neighbourhood bakery, with not very much in it save for a single glass case of sweets, all being of the usual variety: danish-dough slices, cinnamon rolls and one or two others. Ha ha I hate to say that I look back on this place with not too pleasant feelings, solely because I somehow miscounted my money and had to end up paying by credit card. I don't know what happened... This is nevertheless one of the emptier, less impressive bakeries in the city, but in terms of its goods, it's certainly far from disappointing. It also happened to be home to my favourite cheese bun of the year (not that anyone wants to know that), the other not managing to wow me.
In terms of the sweets purchase of the day, I picked out the usual: a slice of "Vienna bread", with pink icing of course (250kr). Seeing as I probably had more than my fair share of these on my trip (I kind of look back in some alarm at how many danishes I ate in this two-week stretch :D), this one landed somewhere in the middle. The flaky dough (in fact, you can one see one part flaked off completely prior to the photo...) was pretty good, although I found it a little too airy; this thing weighed almost nothing and this meant slightly larger air bubbles than desired. A little skimpy on the custard, it still had a fair bit of sliced almonds... and of course the pink icing. :P Pretty good, but I've had better; at any rate, it's worth it if you're in Vesturbær, but otherwise it's not really anything making a special trip for.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment