Bakery On The Go

Bakery: Bakery On The Go
Address: 819 Bathurst St (in the subway station), Toronto ON 
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian, Caribbean
Price:

Maybe, just maybe, you're missing my regular updates in and around Toronto. In that case, I interrupt my plethora of Icelandic and Maritime bakeries (since there are still a whole bunch to go through) to bring you a place I visited following my return from my trip. You're welcome. :P

Bakery On The Go is pretty much an institution at the station; located underground in the hallway between the east- and westbound trains (so, yes, you do need to pay and enter the station to access it) at Bathurst station, this place is buzzing no matter the time and everything, from the line to the lightning fast service, runs like clockwork -- unlike the subway. ;D The vast majority of customers come for the patties and samosas, available in a few varieties, and coco bread; as they're constantly baked, they're fresh and pretty darn cheap. In addition to the more savoury options, this place also offers several sweet options of the typical North American variety: a couple varieties of doughnuts as well as brownies, cinnamon buns (these are good ^^) and turnovers. Nothing elaborate, in short, but I've never encountered anything that wasn't fresh here. I don't really get off at Bathurst anymore like I used to (Spadina gets me closer to where I want to be), but when I did, this place had these great apple squares, but it's been years now since I saw those...

Anyways, not being in the mood for anything glazed this time around, I nonetheless took advantage of my being there again after a great many months and picked out something that I don't recall catching my eye beforehand: a large slab of bread pudding ($2.75, taxes included). Now, I quite like bread pudding, at least the South American variety, so I thought I'd give this one a try. Just like with the cinnamon rolls and now-extinct apple squares, this did not disappoint. Moist and fresh, delicately spiced with some cinnamon -- there really is a reason why the traffic to this place is non-stop!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment