Vars Deli

Bakery: Vars Deli 
Address: 380 Kerr St, Oakville ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Polish 
Price: $-$$ 

So my mom swears that she never noticed this small Polish deli on Kerr st (in the Kerr Village shopping strip), but I have a feeling that it's been there a lot longer than she thinks -- though she did let me know that the Venezuelan place across the street is gone and a (another??) high-end patisserie is slotted to open in its place. The signs in the windows advertising pierogies and cabbage rolls just look like I've seen this place before, although I'm hardly ever here.

Nonetheless, this is an old-school small Polish deli selling homemade ready food and savoury items as well as -- surprisingly enough -- homemade baked goods! Sure, they don't have a lot of selection and there isn't a lot of anything, so it looks like everything is baked and sold daily (it certainly tasted like that too), but it is SO refreshing to have a place not have their pączki delivered to the store from the commercial bakeries, like so many small delis, and then sold cold and stale. And while they don't have any cakes or pastries, they do have the traditional yeast baked goods, namely sweet cheese buns and... poppy seed goods. Yup, they know how to get me excited! :D

Despite having poppy seed buns, my mom got me the poppy seed loaf ($2.50, sold as half a loaf) which looked unique and filled with poppy seeds. And it was! I'd call it a mix between sweet challah bread and a traditional poppy seed roll (makowiec) The dough was very light and airy while the poppy seed mass was delicious; team that up with the bit of crumble and icing on top -- delicious! And it does need to be said: having it nice and fresh really helped.

My mom also bought pączki ($0.99/each) for everyone, because she said they looked different and small-batch. A little more expensive than your typical place, they were nevertheless really good and certainly tasted a little different than your typical ones, especially the denser dough, though I have to say I'll always prefer the glaze over powdered sugar. .__.;; All are stuffed with strawberry filling (it doesn't say so).

This place was actually a little bit of a surprise -- I certainly didn't expect to find homemade baked goods at such a small place... and I certainly didn't anticipate both things sampled being so good! :P

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment