Baked Goods by Maria







At Home with: Maria
Location: North Sweden

This is a fairly long time coming, mainly because once I finished with my World Tours, I completely forgot about it. .__. And because it won't look so nice as my tummy remembers it given that I was too cowardly to be caught with a camera, taking a picture of any of the yummy goodies I sampled...

Nevertheless, this past summer, I did another volunteering spiel, this time in North Sweden, very near the Finnish border, and this time, there were a lot of delicious memories to take along with me. ^-^ Towards the end of my stay, there had begun a conversation regarding my hostess' cooking and how they -- my hosts -- could open up some sort of lunchtime cafe or something along those lines because it was so good. Not to wholly disagree with this idea, they should just open a cafe serving coffee and cakes, and I'm referring to mostly the latter. To say I ate well would almost be an understatement! I was, to be quite honest with you, a little spoiled with dessert served daily in the form of delicious lingonberry cake squares or warm pancakes with jam and cream. Yum! *-*

Not to mention the fact that everything was gluten-free. I've spotted a few bakeries here serving a few nut- or gluten-free items and, to be quite honest with you, I do feel sorry for those that have special diets, simply because the things offered don't look at all good and are mostly targeted towards young kids with chocolate chip cookies and brownies. I don't see why there can't exist a little creativity out there. Seriously, Maria could start a baking revolution!! ;D

On top of everything else, there was the crème de la crème of everything and anything offered me during my whole trip of two months and three countries: the cloudberry torte. Holy-moly! O_O Get this: layers of alternating sponge cake and cream mass, including whipped cream, freshly picked cloudberries, and vanilla ice cream. Whoa, it was heavenly! As pathetic as it sounds, it was one of the highlights of north Sweden. Lol!

So, in the end, I'd just like to say: thank you for the dessert (and that famous torte!), Maria! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment