Miller's Scottish Bakery

Bakery: Miller's Scottish Bakery
Address: 330 Guelph St, Georgetown ON 
Website: http://millersscottishbakery.com/
Style: Scottish
Price: $

This being my second Scottish bakery, the yummy selection didn't come as much of surprise as the first time around, but at the very least, I could pretty much guarantee that I could find something good. Actually, the selection at Miller's is quite impressive, with a variety of traditional tarts, cookies, pies, squares and well, some more confections that don't fall into any other category. :P (there are plenty of meat pies as well, but this isn't something I talk about ^^) Although nothing is priced, the goodies are yet again really cheap. I mean, I noticed that meat pies were $3.30 each and subtracting that from the total, I get... $4.00 for two currant squares, one snowball, one cookie, and three (giant) shortbread fingers. That's cheap. O.O

But why not just get started here? Essentially, there is not a single complaint, even something ever so slight, that I can make about this place. For myself, I got a currant square, simply because I discovered these at Clarkson Scottish Bakery and really like them: a thick layer of moistened dried currants between two layers of delicious dough. Size-wise, these were big with plenty of currants. And they were good. Mmmm...

Secondly was a snowball, one of a few coconut products on sale here. This one was a soft shortbread-y (or so the brother claims) ball -- nothing is inside it -- rolled with coconut and icing... and apparently very rich and buttery. Hence, an instant hit. ;D

The next item was what I believe to be an empire cookie: two shortbread cookies put together with jam and coated with icing. This the other brother ate and said... this is what Peak Freans should taste like, which uh, did not help and I'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to mean. XD He did like it, however.

Lastly were the shortbread bricks which, if the picture doesn't show it, were huge (the size of a generous piece of biscotti... a "biscotchi" of sorts :D [yes, this is my invention]) These were well, if you've ever examined the nutritional information on a box of real Scottish shortbread, you might know what you're getting yourself into. ;) These were deliciously dense and rich, perhaps not as rich as Walkers (which are like eating a brick of butter), but a Scottish shortbread that was so yummy and undeniably bakery-baked (i.e. not boxed from the store).

Overall, Miller's is pretty much the perfect place to satisfy your Scottish baked good craving. For me, at any rate, it's a considerable detour and this was actually the first time I've been to Georgetown... ever, but at least I (and you too) have one reason to go there. ;DD

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment