Malta's Finest Pastries

Bakery: Malta's Finest Pastries
Address: 4138 Dundas St W, Toronto ON
Website: n/a
Style: Maltese
Price: $

West past Jane and in a small plaza that's easy to overlook is the other Maltese pastry shop. This one seemed to be a lot more for people in the know, since nothing was labelled and really, there wasn't that much selection, though the entire store smelled of savoury pastizzi (perhaps they're more known for the savoury than the sweet, not sure??). In terms of sweets, there literally were two options for sale: the molasses ring (qaghaq tal-ghasel) which I bought at Malta Bake Shop and date-filled imqaret ($1.50/each).

Seeing as I bought the former already (on the same day, otherwise I would have taken them again ^^), I thought I'd settle for the latter, although I had bought those too. However, if you'd like a different experience -- or a healthier one -- than the deep fried treats from the above place, the ones here are bigger with a lot more spiced date filling and the dough is thin and baked instead of deep friend. Smell-wise, I found that you almost expected these things to be savoury, and even when eating it, it wasn't very sweet at all, but very fruity (well, very date-y, but that might be a given ;D) with the dough having picked up a lot of that clove and allspice flavour; I instantly thought of the box of Egyptian date roll cookies (a way better and tastier version of the fig newton) I have in the cupboard. It was tasty, but, in my opinion, couldn't compete with the MBS... still, not bad, not bad at all! :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment