Golden Grain Bakery

Bakery: Golden Grain
Address: 138-A Hwy. 8, Stoney Creek, ON
Website: n/a
Style: Serbian/Croatian
Price: $$-$$$

While at Royal Meats (Burnhamthorpe and Cawthra, Mississauga), I thought I might as well make myself useful and see if this predominantly Serbian deli and meat shop with some Croatian/Bulgarian goods as well had any sort of sweets, seeing as Serbian/Croatian/anything in the region isn't the easiest thing to find in terms of baked goods AND I've never had anything Serbian before, and you know how I love trying ethnic baking. *-* Lo and behold, they had refrigerated boxes and little cake squares. Making a note of the name, I let my brother know to visit if in the Stoney Creek area and you wouldn't believe where he was planning on going hiking the next day. I love it when that happens. ;)

So, despite them having the Mediterranean staple, baklava, my brother picked out a whole bunch of these dainty little pastries, showcasing their entire variety (there isn't a lot) and including four slices of those aforementioned cake squares ("žarbo", by name). As the goodies are priced per weight, we ended up with a box of nine, I believe, for around $5. Of this set, there was the žarbo, which seems to be a layer cake made of moist sponge cake and banana mush, topped off with a thin layer of chocolate. I really think the best way to picture is a chocolate banana shortcake.

The ball farthest back in the picture was a 'fig cake', which was shaped roughly like a fig with a thin layer of dough and stuffed with a, you guessed it, figgy filling. Brother #1 really loved this and jumped at the chance to eat the second piece before Brother #2 found out! The chocolate triangle was a thin wafer wrapped around a filling of chocolate and nuts. Again, brother #1 couldn't seem to get his hands off of this one.

The two white circles were a little similar to the chocolate triangle in that they were surrounded by a thin wafer and filled with a creamy, banana filling. Unluckily, I actually ended up selecting the two things with banana and, not being a fan of bananas in baking, didn't like it so much... and as much as the brother who not only wants to return but wants to stock up on more sweets and try the baklava too. Me, I think I might stay away from the bananas next time (I mean, really, who knew? I wouldn't expect so much bananas). XDDDDD

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment