Baker Brun [Mimi's World Tour]







Bakery: Baker Brun
Address: Bryggen, Bergen
Website: http://www.bakerbrun.no/
Style: Norwegian, Scandinavian
Price: $-$$

Like Baker Hansen, Baker Brun is a Norwegian bakery chain, but this time with locations across the country and with several in Bergen and in Oslo. Oddly enough, I never saw a single one while in Oslo, so the time I tried it ended up being in Bergen.
Nonetheless, Baker Brun has the typical selection of Norwegian/Scandinavian goodies, with simple sweet buns and several breads. The Bryggen (that is, old town Bergen) location is more of a petite cafe and doesn't really offer much in terms of baked selection. Unlike all other bakeries I visited in Norway (and in Europe, for that matter), nothing was priced and so it was a little scary, especially with those Norwegian prices ;DD and the fact that anything in Bryggen might turn into a tourist trap, taking the risk, but both buns were well under 250kr, I do remember that, though I can't quite recall the exact price.

This time around, the brother took something as well, so his was the glazed bun (both taken after getting smushed), which turned out to be yet another cinnamon bun, at least I believe so. (lol, I've had so many on this site that it should have its own tag: "scandinavian cinnamon buns" ^-^) He liked it, but he's never much help there... I got this spiral bun with cinnamon and dusted with sugar. According to the cash register as I was paying, someone ended up with the "prinsessekake" but I can't figure out who... especially when I associate 'princess cake' with marzipan-covered cream balls (at least, that's the Swedish equivalent... mmm, prinsesskaka *-*) I would have liked it if it were mine, just because of the name, heh heh heh. Anyways, it was quite good, though the "filling" of the spiral, or at least the alternate colour, could have used a bit more cinnamon, since the bun didn't have much flavour and tasted just like plain dough.

Overall, it was quite good, but not the greatest. And as to Norway, I think I have to say I still preferred Baker Hansen... though it would have been nice to find some non-chains somewhere. *pouts*

Rating: **1/2

7 comments:

  1. I just wanted you to know that I just stumbled onto your blog and I love it. I always wanted to try baked goods in the GTA West (Mississauga, Oakville, and Brampton) and this is perfect.

    Thank you and keep up this cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! :) It really makes me so happy to hear other people getting something from my silliness and I do hope that I am of some help to you. And, please, if you spot something worthy of reviewing, let me know -- I`m always so grateful for suggestions. Thanks again!!

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to try this particular bakery in Oakville. It's been on my radar for ages but I haven't been able to trek down there.

    http://www.chocolate-and-gelato.webs.com/

    Though it is a gelato place primarily, they supposedly sell great macarons, tuiles amande, and other french pastries.

    The other one that was recommended to me was Akko Cake House in Mississauga. It's on Creditview and Burnhamthorpe. Supposedly it's one of the better Asian bakeries in Mississauga.

    I've heard the Middle Eastern pastries at Paramount Fine Food on Dixie rd is pretty stand out as well. It's another one on my list to try. I wonder how it compares to your Baklawa King.

    From my general net research, the following are supposedly decent in the GTA West

    Truscott Italian Bakery & Delicatessen
    Iana Bakery http://www.ianabakery.com/

    I look forward to seeing your next adventures. I'm not sure where to start in Mississauga. What would you recommend as a first Mississauga bakery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you so much for this! *-* I'm always very, very happy for ideas, especially since a lot of smaller bakeries don't pop up online/on Yellow Pages/etc.

      I'll definitely make a note of the ones I didn't hear of give them a try; Truscott is actually a future post (I'm at this moment Cake Touring in Estonia XD) I've also been a few times to Akko Cake House, but not sure where I'd place it. Nothing, especially their cakes, really wowed me, but at the same time, there isn't that much choice in terms of Asian bakeries in Mississauga (I'll post about it in the future as well ^^).

      And I've never been to an Indian bakery either; my brother has been egging me on to try one, so I'll be sure to attempt it soon as well.

      As a start:

      http://mimiscaketour.blogspot.com/2012/02/nova-pastry-bakery.html (Nova = Portuguese; cheap and delicious)

      http://mimiscaketour.blogspot.com/2011/11/jaswoj-bakery.html (Polish; best Eastern Euro)

      And of course, my personal fave:

      http://mimiscaketour.blogspot.com/2011/09/le-delice-pastry-shop.html (Pan-European/N. American = local fruit pies, amazing tarts, great muffins)

      Hope this helps! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I think Le Delice will be my first stop. It looks so amazing.

      I'm also jealous of your Estonia cake tour. I just discovered my love of all things food and I wished I knew of this when I actually traveled around the world.

      This place came up to me in a discussion and you may know of this 'bakery'. It's the Apricot Tree Cafe. It's more of a sit down cafe/dessert place but it makes everything in house! All desserts, cakes, croissants... and supposedly it's quite good. I've had their Lindt chocolate tart at their sister location (Bistro Narra) and it was very decadent. I figure you'd enjoy another potential place to visit.

      I look forward to reading about your cake tour!

      Delete
    3. Yes, thanks for that. I'll really take any and all suggestions I can take. The Apricot Tree is pretty nearby and I never actually did think of it as a potential post (I guess most cafes don't make anything nowadays and rely on commercial bakeries), so I'll definitely stick it on the list. I only remember from years ago that their crepes were pretty good.

      It might take a while to sort out and write everything, but more reviews are definitely in the works, so I hope you enjoy... as well as the goodies at Le Delice. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I forgot this one. I've never been to an Indian bakery but someone recommended this one to me.

    http://www.shirinmahal.com/

    ReplyDelete