Pasaj

Bakery: Pasaj
Address: 1100 Queen St E, Toronto ON
Style: Turkish 
Price: $$$$
 
I recently posted a review for a Turkish bakery and, being in the mood for more Turkish, did a little research and found out about to this cafe famous for its breakfast/brunch. Though not quite a bakery, they have a small selection of Turkish/Middle Eastern pastries and other sweets. A very pricey selection, that is. It's always puzzled me... does this part of Toronto have ridiculously high rent for retail or something? Because it has to be the most expensive destination for food in the city. I am not kidding. Is it just me? I mean, it's not like the neighbourhood is that prestigious or something... 
I read that the signature item is their "famous" Istanbul eclairs. I was dubious of the whole "famous" part, but there are actually websites listing where you can get the best eclairs in Istanbul... who knew? These are smaller than expected and, in my opinion, overpowered by the chocolate topping. Not that much cream could actually fit inside, so it lost the whole concept of an eclair. Equally tiny was the piece of baklava. For its size it had a nice amount of nutty filling and the ratio was quite good, but it was too wet and soggy - there was simply too much syrup. 
Lastly, the surprise winner was the date square. Now, I do love dates, so why the surprise? In truth, I was expecting something different, perhaps infused with more Middle Eastern flavours than a classic Canadian date square with an oat granola topping. That being said, it was nice and chewy and I liked the texture of that top. Overall, I wasn't the biggest fan of the miniature pastries - I think they would have been more in proportion had they been slightly bigger. The price, on the other hand, really was too much for what you get. 

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment