Gerrard St. Bakery

Bakery: Andrea's Gerrard St. Bakery
Address: 635 Gerrard St E, Toronto ON
Style: Canadian
Price: $$$
 
This is an area of Toronto I'm seldom in, so I don't know how long this bakery, located right in the midst of the Gerrard St. Chinatown, has been here. Maybe it isn't as old and established as the name suggests, but it nonetheless serves a decent, though not too large selection of classic Canadian squares, tarts and other humble goodies. I recall hearing something about it being famous for their butter tarts, so I'll confess I came here with a purpose. To my disappointment, those "famous", albeit quite pricey butter tarts were gone.... 
I had to make do with the next best thing. At least, the pecan nut cake square was as close to a butter tart as I could get. This was in no way a compromise where I suffered in the end: this pecan square smelled amazing before I even got a chance to try it! That crunchy nut topping, the impeccably chewy filling with a delicious shortbread dough underneath - I can see how the butter tarts would be good. 
Equally fragrant and deliciously chewy and gooey was the gingerbread bundt cake. It didn't look like much when I took it out of the box, but you could really taste - and smell - the spice in this cake. Great texture, good taste. Overall a bit pricey and still a bit bummed that I didn't get what I came for, but good stuff nonetheless. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment