Kyo Bakery [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kyo Bakery 
Address: 65-1 Dongmak-ro, Sangsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul
Website: n/a 
Style: Japanese, Korean 
Price: $$ 

Kyo is a cute, graphic rich bakery in south Hongdae that seems to focus on more rustic breads and sandwiches, a small selection of French pastries and Japanese-style baked goods. I have to admit that their savoury baked goods and breads looked more one-of-a-kind and appealing than their sweets. To spot a flaky danish and discover it's gouda cheese... it's pretty frustrating.

If you know Japanese baking, you will, however, recognize quite a few products: several flavours of melon pan, red bean buns, chiffon cake, etc.
 As mentioned before, I do love my melon pan and inspired by one I had earlier, I took a classic one (2,300 won). Unlike my previous attempt at melon pan in Korea, Kyo got it right: a nice crusty "melon skin" with a pretty crisscross design and a soft, fluffy sweet bun underneath. It was still a bit... surprising to bite into the middle and have it start oozing with some sort of custard filling. Not quite the fan of these creamy fillings, but I liked the taste of this one. It wasn't too overwhelming and didn't spoil the texture of the bun. Very good.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment