Yonni's Doughnuts

Bakery: Yonni's Doughnuts (@ Discovery Coffee) 
Address: 281 Menzies St, Victoria BC 
Website: https://discoverycoffee.com
Style: Doughnuts, Canadian 
Price: $$-$$$

The humble doughnut seemed to have eluded me on my trip to Victoria and this happened to be precisely what I had missed the previous time. Empire Donuts was closed prematurely; they had sold out. Yonni's just had to be reviewed based solely on their cute doughnut man mascot, but it also didn't manage to deliver the goods. And so, like a great many Cake Tours, luck was not on my side.
Still, I did review Yonni's or rather, Discovery Coffee which is a sort of joint venture given the fact that Yonni's, with no retail outlet of its own, are only available at Discovery Coffee and even their website states that Yonni's Doughnuts are baked at their Discovery Bakery in James Bay. Which just so happens was the location I went to! While not an extensive bakery by any means, they do have more than the average coffee shop in terms of baked goods and their counter has room and labels for about 6, maybe more, varieties of doughnuts. I say "room and labels" because, although they weren't exactly sold out of doughnuts, they had sold out of everything except two varieties: the old fashioned cake and the gluten-free cake one...
Truth be told, neither looked that appealing and I made the executive decision to skip the doughnut and go for the cinnamon bun ($3.75). I mean, it wasn't that difficult a decision; the cinnamon bun looked pretty good and I do like cinnamon buns. This was what I like to call a typical square-shaped, tightly-coiled with a clear glaze BC cinnamon bun. Warming it up a bit, it had just the right amount of ooey gooey factor. The dough was slightly denser, the cinnamon was just right, but the highlight had to be that sticky and sweet caramel top. A bit unexpected, but wholly appreciated... it's a shame that it didn't trickle down into the rest of the bun.

Hopefully next time Yonni's will have some doughnuts for me to try. Judging by first impressions, they should be good.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment