Oreno Pan [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Oreno Pan
Address: 東山区中之町200, Nakanocho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto 
Website: https://restaurant-okumura.com/orenopan/
Style: Japanese
Price: $$

When I mentioned my Cake Tour and that I was on the bakery hunt in Kyoto, my host K. amazingly sent me a few of his favourite bakeries in the city. The first on that list was Oreno Pan. Oreno Pan is a small, Kyoto-only chain of artisanal bakeries specializing in what is known as "pan" -- Western-style bread. This bread comes in many shapes and forms, but without a doubt the main feature is their square loaves of semi-sweet bread available in a handful of flavours like green tea red bean, all at reasonably good prices. In addition to this, they probably have more savoury baked goods; at least, I recall I had trouble picking out buns that I knew for sure were sweet. 
 Nevertheless, I am super happy with what I did pick out: the matcha melon bun (195 yen before tax?). I'm not quite sure if I've ever had a melon bun. I'd like to say I should have, since I'm familiar with what they are, and yet I don't really have a distinct recollection of it. Whether I did or not, Oreno Pan's bright green version was the official moment I... fell in love with melon buns; they also ended up having the best melon bun I tried.
 The concept is relatively simple: soft, almost elastic dough that's not too sweet with a sugary crust on top, made -- I presume -- to resemble the skin of a melon? A bit of crunch and you break into that super soft inside. Add lots of flavour-packed matcha and I was more than satisfied with the first recommendation I received. Thank you very much for this one!

Rating: ***1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment