Trou de Beigne

Bakery: Trou de Beigne 
Address: 156 Rue Saint-Zotique, Montreal QC
Website: http://www.troudebeigne.com/
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$

One Saturday afternoon, I popped in here to find it very full, a bit chaotic and, seeing as I had already had a doughnut that day (really, not that legitimate an excuse), I thought I would return another day. The next day, I was looking through I think it was three "must-have bakeries/desserts in Montreal" lists; again, these lists are entirely subjective and I have my own taste, but for a doughnut shop to end up on the list, especially when they did look good, I knew I had to give them a try. Thus the trip was escalated to a necessity!
 Trou de Beigne ("Doughnut Hole") sells just doughnuts and unlike a great many hip(ster) doughnut shops, they had several flavours that I would actually want to try. Why yes, the bacon doughnut was still there, but I often find that a lot of these places just load up on toppings or make everything chocolatey and there isn't as much variety or creativity as I'd like. These guys have nine rotating flavours at one time, available in standard and scouter size. Take standard; you won't regret it. ;P
That day, I had to make a difficult choice: the green tea looked amazing, as did the blueberry one. But the one that won points for originality was the speculoos doughnut ($2.75 standard size). Yes, a doughnut dedicated to those famous Dutch spice cookies. A smooth spiced glaze generously coating a fluffy, fresh yeast doughnut and decorated with a few streaks of chocolate and a piece of chocolate dipped wafer in the hole. Amazing soft, slightly chewy texture, a slight crackle on the top of the glaze and so good. My only problem? I want a bigger one! ;)

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment