Von Doughnuts

Bakery: Von Doughnuts
Address: 713 Danforth Ave, Toronto ON 
Website: http://vondoughnuts.com/
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$

Wanting to fill out the pending bakeries I proposed on my Greektown-Danforth walking tour, I decided to do one each trip and opted, this time, for Von Doughnuts. Von Doughnuts, without a doubt, seems to be one of the more high-profile gourmet doughnuts outlets in the city. I heard about it before actually seeing it in person. Stepping in, go past the seating and you're greeted with two display cases of six or seven different doughnut flavours along with a row of their signature "doughnut-kabobs". Doughnuts are all priced at $2.85 while the kebabs are $2.95. Some of the flavours I remember seeing at the time of purchase were tequila lime, blueberry lime, pink with sprinkles (the Homer Simpson), another sprinkle, some sort of chocolate chunks, sangria, and creme brûlée. A few were laced with alcohol, which sounded pretty exciting.
 After some deliberation, I went for the sangria doughnut. The description sounded super enticing: red and white wine glaze, strawberry jam swirl and a slice of strawberry in the middle on a yeast doughnut. Just to get it right, I went to check the website and wow, I can say with certainty that mine did not look like that. Getting it ready for its picture, the first thing I noticed was that the topping (wine glaze, strawberry jam and all) was so thin it was transparent and had hardly any taste so that all you tasted was the dough. The doughnut was a little too brown on the outside and the dough itself reminded me of badly fried, amateur Polish doughnuts (pączki): very airy, somewhat dry, kind of bready -- definitely not the doughnut I was expecting. Suddenly it makes sense why the people who had been eating there had each left at least a quarter of their doughnut behind....

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment