The Home Bakery [International Correspondent]

Bakery: The Home Bakery
Address: 300 South Main St, Rochester MI
Website: http://thehomebakery.com/
Style: American
Price: $$

I went to Rochester/Detroit awhile ago and have been annoyed into finally doing a review for the bakery I did visit. In fact, I was charged to go to some sort of French bakery in downtown Rochester and never found it. It was only the next day, when I was leaving in the morning, that I realized the bakery entrance was actually on the back of the main street, in the back alley. So instead I chose to go to Home Bakery, about a block away. This looks like the original bakery on the street, it being located in an old building (then again, so is every business in downtown Rochester...) and having that well-established look to it; noticing this, I was hoping for some simple, classic baked goods, but was kind of disappointed that, besides the more traditional look of the breads, the sweets were more gimmicky with kids cookies, kronuts, though they did also have some fancier French-inspired baked goods.

The classic apple fritter
Not knowing how authentic the French dough was and not liking French dough unless it's done right, I instead selected the classic apple fritter. The apple fritter is a good item to take at any bakery. It's both foolproof and a good indicator of how good that bakery is. Apple fritters must be, in fact, one of my favourite "homestyle" baked goods, along with cinnamon buns and carrot cake. Home Bakery's apple fritters were good, with a nice amount of apples and nicely fried with a good glaze. Not amazing or remarkable enough to set them apart from others, but still good for me.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment