Planet Organic Market [RIP]

Bakery: Planet Organic Market
Address: 170 Lakeshore Rd E, Mississauga ON
Website: http://www.planetorganic.ca/
Style: North American, Organic
Price: $$

Upping my organic labels a little bit here... Actually, on the day when I was anticipating four bakery stops, I ended up with one. On the day that I just went for a routine trip to the Danish Pastry House, I somehow ended up with two places to review -- excitement!

This was my first trip to Planet Organic, an organic/health food supermarket which turned out to have a bakery in it, something that came as a pleasant surprise for me! I mean, in general, these kinds of places only sell pre-packed breads from other bakeries, and that's never any fun. The bakery itself is pretty tiny, but they have a few interesting and unique sweets that you won't find anywhere else and is actually well priced, with individual squares and cookies setting you back somewhere between $1.50 and $2.00. The larger items, though there aren't that much, do cost more and don't seem like as much a bargain, and of course, they have some pre-packed stuff as well.

Upon entering the store, it didn't take me long to spot the bakery and promise myself to do a cake tour. I was actually on the verge of getting their pumpkin cookies, which looked tasty (for what they were, nothing fancy or elaborate).
Then, I noticed the puffed kamut squares ($1.49/each or pack of two for $2.79). Seriously, this was like a blast to my childhood -- as a kid I loved these things! I haven't seen puffed wheat squares (the original) on this side of the country... ever! At any rate, I really liked the concept of taking simple recipes and then just making them with organic ingredients as opposed to well, making everything resemble granola bars (no offence ^^;;).
 
The puffed kamut squares, in particular, were all organic ingredients and made with kamut, agave syrup (versus corn), brown sugar and cocoa. I really liked the idea of substituting wheat for kamut; the latter has a fuller flavour and with the agave syrup, gave the squares this indescribable, more complex taste compared to the traditional recipe I always used. Really enjoyed these things! As a matter of fact, I'm just thrilled!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment