Coach House Shortbread Company

Bakery: Coach House Shortbread Company
Address: 235 Carlaw Ave, Toronto ON
Website: http://www.shortbread.ca
Style: Shortbread
Price: $$$

In the basement of a building of an old factory-turned-lofts, there's the Coach House Shortbread Company, which, as the name gives away, makes shortbread. And lots of it. ^^; Going into this thing or poking your head through the windows, you get the impression you're in the high end boutique of cookie stores and I just couldn't help but be reminded -- especially with the gold ribbon and pretty packaging -- of Ladurée in Paris. You feel like you're not buying cookies, you're uh, making a real purchase. ;DDDD The difference being that at Ladurée, you're not greeted with a smile and invited to the free samples by the owner/baker upon your entrance! I was impressed. I was special! (lol, please don't mind me~~~)

The pretty large space consists of a series of tables, stacked with differently coloured rolls (resembling Christmas crackers) filled with shortbread, both sweet and savoury, in a whole bunch of interesting and original flavours. Of course, I wasn't too interested in the savoury, but the sweet were pretty neat like rose, cranberry, candied almond, orange and cardamom, etc.

Taste aside, I found the pricing a little confusing (especially since there are two sizes) and didn't quite get the multiples; it almost seemed a little too corporate with entire baskets being priced, so much so that I felt a little... wrong buying just one thing, like it's not done or something? Many, many thanks for the clarification: the small "crackers" cost $9.95, whereas the larger rolls are priced at $12.95. The latter gets cheaper when bought in multiples (hence the list of deals -- not sure why it eluded me -.-)... therefore, one can conclude: it is best to buy the most you can. ;DD But at $10 as a minimum purchase, they weren't necessarily cheap. My little roll had 7 cookies in it, so roughly $1.40 per cookie, though there was a jar with lemon shortbread for $0.65.

Also, I was a little disappointed that there weren't any variety packs! For a first timer, I would have loved being able to try a few flavours/pick out some that appealed to me without needing to buy multiple packs.

Anyways, to the most important part: the taste. There not being cardamom (for that Scandinavian baking taste I love), I picked out sugar plum, because it sounded tasty. I like plums. ^^ Seriously, all I needed to do was read the ingredients to know these were going to be good cookies! First on the list: butter. :P And then it only got better: bits of plums, slivered almonds, raisins soaked in rum and spiced with cardamom, caraway and was cinnamon in there too? I don't even know how all of this can fit into one wee cookie! But wow, this was impressive. For one, these are just waiting to melt on your tongue. The texture is great and, in fact, letting them melt is the best way to enjoy them, since the dough kind of disappears and you're just left with this punch of flavour: spices and butter and candied fruit. Mmmm... these are definitely amazing shortbread!! Enough said. O___O ((I wouldn't have minded a little more either~~))

In the end, I like cookies, I like shortbread, but I can't really go crazy for them, so I guess I'll always prefer other baked goods, but still... Coach House knows *good* shortbread. :)

Rating: ***

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to blog about my cookies!

    I wanted to address some of your observations...so here goes:

    As far as a package of mixed flavours, this is a challenge because flavours tend to transfer, nut allergies become a concern, and the ingredient list would be...well...enormous! LOL

    Indeed, the 200g size is a much better value, and for the 85g size the packaging cost is higher per cookie as it is all done by hand. I offer the small size because clients love that it is so cute, but the per cookie cost is definitely higher, no question.

    I wasn't sure what you were referring to with your observation about the pricing for entire baskets... I don't actually sell baskets of them.

    Just to clarify, the 200g size is $12.95, the 85g size is $9.95, and they become cheaper per package when you buy multiples. And there is no tax! Yay! And yes it is part of my evil plan to encourage clients to buy more!! (insert maniacal laughter).

    Anyway, I really appreciated that you took the time to blog about them, and I do hope your drop by again!

    My Very Best,
    Carl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the comment and for visiting my little site (and for giving me an excellent treat with my tea!)! This is the first time I've received such a comment; I'm a little embarrassed at being noticed, but I'm still very happy to receive some feedback.

      Mixed flavours sounds more complex than I pictured it in my head -- my apologies. I suppose buying multiple rolls (an idea that will doubtless please you!) will be the only alternative for me to try everything?

      And thank you. I'll update the pricing on my post immediately. I think I must have just been overwhelmed by the amount of cookies. (It can happen) This was my first time in the neighbourhood, we got a little lost, and I was planning for more stops on this part of the tour; going down the steps and finding a gorgeous bakery tucked away -- it's impressive.

      I actually bought a box of commercial shortbread last week, hoping to recreate that "melt on your tongue" experience... and it totally failed, so I know that next time, the large rolls (perhaps even the multi-buy?) are for me! ;)

      Regards,
      Mimi

      Delete
  2. Mimi,
    You are just so gracious and lovely!

    I will be open until May 18th, and by appointment through the summer. We re-open for high season after Labour day. I'd love to see you again. I will have some new flavours to try in Sept and Oct...
    Carl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'll be abroad the entire summer (taking the Cake Tour to a few new countries), coming back in the fall for some new flavours fits my schedule perfectly.

      PS. Oh, flattery isn't needed to lure me back, I assure you!

      Delete
  3. Hey Mimi, I'd love to invite you to a Coach House Shortbread event! Email me at carlstryg@shortbread.ca for one!

    Carl.

    ReplyDelete