Yuan Ming Supermarket

Bakery: Yuan Ming Supermarket
Address: 1000 Burnhamthorpe W, Mississauga ON
Website: http://www.yuanming.ca/
Style: Chinese
Price: $

Still on the hunt for Chinese bakeries (and almond cookies ;P), I finally popped into another Chinese supermarket: Yuan Ming (on Burnhamthorpe; I believe the Dundas and Hurontario location does not have a bakery). I think that when they opened they baked their own stuff and then there was a period when the bakery was owned by, I believe, Jin Cheng, a bakery from Markham. Or it could have had another name.. I'm not sure now, but there's no reason why I should remember a name like that. O.o I hadn't gone to their bakery in ages, obviously, since it seems they've gone back to in-house baked goods, both sweet and savoury.

Just looking at their selection, I can't say it looks very impressive. There are no elaborate designs and only basic flavours (even their selection of savoury, meaty buns isn't very big compared to other supermarkets and bakeries in the area), but... they're almost all 2 for $1 (or $0.69 each), if that's any incentive. ;) It seems to be for quite a few people, since many people were taking trays full.

Personally, I can't say I was overly excited in trying something. My usual favourite, the good old butter bun, simply didn't look good; I was examining it and found it greasy and smelling like it had been dipped in vegetable oil. Not very intrigued and pretty disheartened, I looked in the other bins and settled on a milk cream bun for myself. Taking the bbq pork bun as well for the brother, the latter felt a lot fresher and softer than these did, but it actually proved to be better than I had expected. The dough was still soft and fluffy; there wasn't a lot of cream, but it was quite tasty and lighter (actually, I liked it better) than the usual yellow custard-stuffed buns, which are also available. Not bad.

In addition to this: the traditional almond... er, walnut cookie (and I forgot the price... under a dollar, I believe) which was, again, not bad, but at the same time, in no way managed to beat a bakery cookie (like the one from Akko Cake House)

And with this, I got two coconut goodies: a coconut tart ($0.88 -- the famous egg variety is also available) which wasn't fully cooked in the middle and didn't taste so great either (especially after the repeated baking) and a coconut bun which was quite possibly so completely opposite to skimpy in terms of the coconut filling that it became a fault. With the first bite, it impressed you quite a bit.. and then you started realizing it's just overflowing with this coconut mush to the point of making you a little sick. Neither item was great.

Yeah... I guess the overall verdict is: if you're in the store and want to pick up a snack, something to munch on, the Yuan Ming bakery sells it cheap, but I don't think it's worth a special trip. :/

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment