Calabria Bakery

 Bakery: Calabria Bakery
Address: 5694 Hwy 7, Markham ON
Style: Italian 
Price: $$

It being zeppole season, I thought of reviving the good old Zeppole Challenge. This, however, proved to be easier said than done, as I had a hard time finding unexplored bakeries that sold zeppole and hadn't taken part in any zeppole challenges from previous years. Finally, there was this entry from Markham. 
This contender really didn't look bad: it had some nice amarena cherry presence. The dough looked nice and airy; however, what really got to me was that with every bite I just got a fridge taste (perhaps my initial "tastes like mortadella" was a little harsh...), as in it had been sitting around for some time. As such, the dough was a bit soggy, especially on the bottom. Honestly, this one looked so promising - actually seemed better than its winning competitors in appearance - and wasn't all that bad, but when you can taste something is not fresh, it's quite the disappointment. Sadly, I was far from impressed.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment