Little Vienna Bakery

Bakery: Little Vienna Bakery, Cafe and Marketplace
Address: 6726 W Coast Rd, Sooke, BC
Website: https://littleviennabakery.com
Style: Austrian
Price: $$

Don't have anything from Sooke yet, so here we go. ^^ Usually, a business' descriptor doesn't get this specific, but Little Vienna seems to have done a good job at labelling itself, though I'm not sure if I would personally put "bakery" first place. Though they do sell bread, cake and baked goods, it still feels more like a cafe than a bakery. Maybe it's the vibe or the smaller selection that coincides with something sweet to go with that coffee?
Despite the name, the baked goods and slices of cake that are available don't exactly scream Austrian and include several European and Canadian classics that range from croissants to butter tarts. I tried two items: the lemon Copenhagen and the cherry almond tart. Again, I would have liked something a bit more regional, but these goodies not only looked pretty, they tasted good too. Since I'm always a sucker for almond tarts, no matter what shape or form, I had to give this one a try. I liked the fresh fruit that was not only placed on top, but it kind of seeped in down around the chewy almond mass to the tart shell. Um, maybe that wasn't intentional and it was just an accidental side effect of packing it in a paper bag? But I liked the overall effect.
The Copenhagen was flaky and buttery with just the right amount of lemon and good icing coverage. The icing may actually have been a little too much in places, especially given the more delicate dough, but the taste was very good and I had plenty of fun uncoiling these two little spirals. ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment