Teddy Roll [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Teddy Roll (テディ・ロール)
Address: 6 Chome-1-12 Kagura 4 Jo, Asahikawa, Hokkaido (inside Road Station)
Website: n/a
Style: Japanese
Price: $$-$$$

Teddy Roll's main retail location is a full-on dessert shop; however, I just went to the small stall located inside the Asahikawa Road Station so the selection is without a doubt smaller than their store, but nonetheless, I was actually surprised that searching the name I spotted on my photo led to anything, since this was as amateur an operation as there could be. The Teddy Roll stand was located underneath the staircase and consisted of two tables stuck together with a plastic tablecloth on top and filled with a hodgepodge of cases, trays and signs; this was run by a man sandwiched between stacks of boxes and papers, so immersed in his newspaper that I think you could make off with half the goods without him even noticing. XD
The feature products were the cream puffs (there was only one left after all) and these deep-fried dough rolls - perhaps the eponymous Teddy Roll? Actually, they're called "チェルキー" (chelky? cherky? O.o) and come in three varieties: plain (200 yen), kinako (soy bean powder) and maple (220 yen). Assuming I got the plain, I'm not sure why I paid more than 200 yen... there shouldn't be additional taxes from a guy at a table. Unless I got the maple? Anyways, I don't know what a chelky is supposed to be, but mine was incredibly chewy and moist. I'm sure another starch was added, but I'm not sure what. It didn't have that mochi consistency of rice flour. Potato perhaps? And because it was so thin you got plenty of that delicious sugar glazed, then sprinkled fried outer crust. A bit of crunch, a bit of softness - it almost reminded me of a churro. I just thought it was a little too expensive for what you got.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment