Craig's Bakery

Bakery: Craig's Bakery
Address: 1800 Tranquille Rd, Kamloops BC
Website: http://www.craigsbakery.ca/
Style: Canadian, European
Price: $$ 

Craig's is a from-scratch bakery on Kamloops' north shore (or whatever it's called officially) that also has another location in nearby Chase. Now, wait for it: it also happens to be my personal pick for the best bakery in Kamloops. I have one more to do, but it will be hard to beat Craig's ample selection of baked goods, ranging from a nice selection of Canadian classics including doughnuts, danishes, cinnamon buns and tarts, along with a dash of some more European surprises thrown in for fun; after all, it didn't take very long after spotting those poppy seed buns for me to grab that four-pack. ;)
 Coming around 20 minutes before closing, the selection behind the counter (that is, individual items as opposed to pre-packed ones along the wall) wasn't the greatest. Not wanting to necessarily commit to eating six of their old-fashioned doughnuts, but wanting to try one, I asked about a smaller pack and was told I could have the six for $1.50. Really, I didn't need all those doughnuts, but how could I resist that? .___. Despite not being the biggest fan of cake doughnuts, these were just like I liked them: soft and moist, simple and unadorned with great texture and taste.
The star attraction, however, were definitely the poppy seed buns ($3.60 for a 4-pack). Incredible value and just look at them! You can usually tell a baked good by its appearance, and this was no exception. Drizzled with icing, rolled with plenty of poppy seed mass, soft yeast dough with a hint of lemon -- mmmm, this was so good. I definitely didn't regret having four of these with me!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment