The Packing House

Bakery: The Packing House 
Address: 3705 Riverview Ave, Spences Bridge BC
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $-$$

If you're taking the now alternate route on Hwy 1, you'll go through the small town of Spences Bridge. At first glance, it doesn't seem like the place for a cafe, especially since the only other business that's open is the motel; I'm only saying this from extensive Cake Tour experience. There's almost no chance at getting something in such a small place. Still, with its exposed wood exterior and interior and smack dab in the middle of the vastness of river, dirt parking, and desolate hills, it feels a bit like you're taking a break during the Gold Rush. Major cool factor. :)

... At least in terms of Cake Tours, because, yes, The Packing House, not only serves light lunches, soup, and hot drinks, but they have a small selection of homemade baked goods including cookies, loaf cakes and slices of daily pie. Reasonably priced, a few flavours of the cake and cookies. It's always so exciting to find spots like this along the way!
I'm always a fan of ginger cookies, so I decided to give the ginger snap ($1.50) a try. I love my ginger cookies chewy and extra gingery and it's so hard for me to find one that's just right. It was looking really good for this one; I felt it upon purchase and found it slightly soft. A good sign. However, having already taken care of some bakery sampling that day, I saved the cookie for the next morning and it went brittle. That had to have been my fault, though. -___- Taste-wise, it reminded me more of some sort of spice cake, with that hint of brown sugar, than a ginger snap. I would have liked more ginger.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment