Kaffi Brák [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Kaffi Brák
Address: Brákarbraut 11, Borgarnes
Website: facebook
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $-$$

Ah, yes, here I am again with some Icelandic Cake Tours! Unfortunately, the goal of getting every proper bakery in the country has once again eluded me -- actually I didn't get that much accomplished this time around, but well, I take what I can get and the first of that was Kaffi Brák.
This bright, whitewashed cafe overlooking the Settlement Centre opened its doors fairly quietly last summer and their sign advertising homemade cakes tempted me then and tempted me this time around, so much so that I couldn't resist anymore and had to give them a try. (I just wish all signage wouldn't be exclusively in English...)
In this, I came away more than happy. Their selection isn't big and the cafe was quite free of customers on a sunny afternoon, but they have a lovely array of some of my most favourite Icelandic treats: "married bliss" in cake form, date cake, kleinur (traditional cake doughnuts), thin pancake rolls, and slices of what appear to be vinarterta. More importantly, all are homemade and this is one of the most affordable cafes I've encountered in the country. Did I mention the date cake? Yes, if I made a foolproof guide on how a place can get a 4-star rating, one of the criteria would have to be "make a date cake" -- the two date cakes reviewed on this site both got perfect, after all.
 That date cake, known as the Dillon cake (750kr), is served with a thick caramel sauce and a single chocolate chip on top and a bit of whipped cream on the side. The cake wasn't as moist and spongy as other date cakes I've tried; however, this was in no way a bad thing, just different. The texture was, on the other hand, slightly dense. The cake was nicely spiced with the chewy sweetness of dates complimenting the heavenly caramel perfectly. Oh man! *-* Here I was thinking that date cake magic would wear off eventually, and here it was again. Pair that with a yummy cup of Swiss mocha (450kr) with whipped cream... it was perfect.

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment