St. Peter's Yuletide Bazaar

Bakery?: St Peter's Anglican Church Yuletide Bazaar
Address:1745 Dundas St W, Mississauga ON
Website: http://www.stpeterserindale.org
Style: English 
Price: $$-$$$ 

Every year in the middle of November, St Peter's (the one on the hill at the corner of Dundas and Missisauga Rd) hosts a Yuletide bazaar. This being the usual route I take to go to Toronto on Saturday, I've passed the sign for quite a few years, intrigued by the promise of baked goods, but never actually turned in to park and take a look at what they had to offer. So, this turned out to be the year. :)

To my excitement, these guys had an entire room devoted to baked goods (well, and preserves, but let's just pretend for the moment that they don't exist, he he he), although it turned out to be that many were simply repeated several times throughout the room. As one may expect from bake sales, it was all home baking (thankfully, no one supplied store bought cupcakes or Timbits as I've seen sometimes x_x), ranging from plates of cookies to a couple of squares and pound cakes -- nothing too elaborate, but that's perfectly fine. There were quite a few unique treats I would have liked to try, but one thing that was a little off-putting were the prices, which I found quite expensive, especially for items that I'd never tried or, in fact, that I didn't know what they were. I think the one general rule about bake sales is that you can get great stuff for great prices; this isn't a bakery or formal business, so $6 for a couple of cookies or $8 for one pound cake really prevents you from going all out and buying as much as you'd like. Perhaps, even with the prices, if they had offered individual items (selling one cookie for $1.50 instead of a whole plate), it would have been a lot more reasonable to try everything I wanted to try (especially when I went to two more bakeries that day too .___.;; You just can't have it all!).

Anyways, I ended up with two items: one individual Eccles cake ($2), which was probably one of the most reasonably priced items there and great as a snack (and does beat cookies ^^). It was a little doughy, especially in comparison to the filling of dried fruits and a bit of a challenge biting into this hard, pie crust-like shell, but both in- and outside were pretty tasty. Not my favourite, but not bad.

The second item was a small plate of almond (or was it walnut?) thimble cookies ($3 for a plate of six teeny tiny cookies). You didn't really get that much and dividing it into two separate tea times proved in vain: these were so good that I couldn't stop. Actually, I had one... then two, and then I offered one to my brother, who promptly snatched up another. Sure, they were bite-sized, but that bite was a pleasant one. ;) Downright melt-in-your-mouth, super buttery cookies with chunks of nuts mixed into the dough and a nice dollop of strawberry jam in the middle. Mmmm... I don't know how these disappeared so quickly, but well, I would have more than happily accepted some more. Perhaps I should have never shared them... 

So, in the end, despite the complaints as to value and assortment (mixing up cookies would have also been appreciated), I did come away with two very tasty treats! I'm not sure whether it's worth returning to, but hey, at least the golf cart-ride up to the top was fun. ;)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment