BF Bakers [RIP]

Bakery: BF Bakers (Bagel Flame) 
Address: 126 Wellington St W #108, Aurora ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Colombian, Jewish 
Price:

Well, so I did get a bakery in Aurora, after all! :) BF Bakers did come across as a purely bagels place, so I was a little wary of sending the brother in anyways and scouting the territory on my behalf, but he did bring back something. While bagels do seem to be their specialty, this place also has a unique, perhaps surprising variety of Jewish baked goods (challah bread, chocolate croissants), North American favourites like cookies, and -- note that this apparently on weekends only -- also a smattering of sweet and savoury Colombian baking as well. So the brother didn't get any of that (don't ask why; I myself fail to understand his choices sometimes); supposedly, he actually asked whether they had anything with poppy seed (bonus points for that) but they were sold out or hadn't baked any that day. Not sure if I believe there's anything ever there, but at the very least it was no poppy seed this time around. *pouts*

Nevertheless, the brother picked out for me a piece of apple cake, a pie-like cake reminding me a lot of Portuguese-style apple pie (both of the actual pie and cake square variety I've tried in a couple of bakeries) Sadly, I wasn't a big fan of the filling; I'm not sure why, but so many places seem to use, if not the same filling, the same apples (very few are an exception to this rule and, as such, I've grown to avoid apple pies unless I already know they're good). What I meant to say: I was a little disappointed to find the same hard-apple filling here, which was not so great, although I liked the cinnamon on the bottom, as well as the criss-cross dough on top with rock sugar and a sort of apricot (or peach, maybe) jam/glaze on top.

Personally, I would have liked to try something else, but this first sample hasn't turned me off from a second trial. A fairly good, but not amazing bakery.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment