Lagkagehuset [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Lagkagehuset
Address: Torvegade 45, Copenhagen (many locations throughout city/Jylland)
Website: http://www.lagkagehuset.dk 
Style: Danish
Price: $$

 Lagkagehuset is a gorgeous chain of bakeries in and around Copenhagen and with a few places throughout Jylland; at any rate, the one on Christianshavn was a lovely, though hectic (you need to wait for your number to be called and I couldn't even get a decent photo, because there are SO many people), place dedicated to all things baked. Like shelves of bread and a window-full of goodies, like large pieces of cinnamon 'strudel' (kanelstang) or trays stuffed with sweet buns and danishes, which are so mouth-watering that you want them all.

Alas, I don't have the budget for something like this; on the contrary, I was quite.. tight in the wallet that day (having vowed to keep my daily food budget as close to 100kr as possible -- close to impossible in Copenhagen!) and settled on a more affordable item, though I found that, given the fancy interior and hordes of people, it was quite surprising to find their prices more reasonable and understandable than, say, Holm's Bager just across the square.

This time (lol, I act like I go to this place every day XD) I settled for the cinnamon bun (kanelgiffel -- 17,50kr), which was not made of the typical "Vienna bread" (wienerbrød, but of a dense yeast dough. Unlike Swedish or Finnish cinnamon buns (you must know that I love Scandinavian cinnamon buns), these didn't have this fluffy, bread-like dough, but was quite hard and compact and rolled with a semi-hardened cinnamon mass. I guess there's a reason why the Danes are famous for wienerbrød, and not cinnamon buns. :/ At least, not this kind, since my host made some delicious ones a few days back, mmm... These were alright, but not something worth taking again and I was kind of hoping for better given how amazing the rest of the baked goods *looked* (see, I know nothing about the taste).

In the end, my two days of baked goods in Copenhagen didn't turn out so great. Actually, it was a bit of a disappointment, but I might come back to Lagkagehuset upon my return; that is, if I don't find any new and exciting places to try first~~ ^.^

Rating: **1/2   

No comments:

Post a Comment