Helga's Bakery

Bakery: Helga's Bakery
Address: Available at Brandt's Factory Outlet: 1878 Mattawa Ave, Mississauga, ON Or at Denninger's locations
Website: http://www.broechelerinn.com/portal/helga.php
Style: German
Price: $$

We don't go often to the Brandt's Factory Store (mainly because I'm loyal to Food Depot in Etobicoke ;D), located at one end of their factory in east Mississauga, but I thought I'd make my way to the German food emporium for the express purpose of uh, retaking some tasty baked goods from their teeny-tiny cafe, especially because I liked everything I got there the first time I went, a while ago in pre-Cake Tour times. It was then that I realized that everything in the bakery actually came from Helga's Bakery, a commercial bakery making German goodies and connected to the Broecheler Inn in Cayuga, ON. So, to be fair, I thought I'd change this around and just review Helga's as a whole, which is also available in other German businesses like Denninger's. Polish supermarket Starsky also stocks one or two pound cakes from them, but nothing exciting. It's really at Brandt's and Denninger's that you get a chance to try everything from their pound cakes to yummy, individually sliced pieces of cakes (around $2.25/each at Brandt's), mostly German staples.

On my trip, I caved and just got the whole chunk of their apple strudel ($5.95; individual slices are also available), which, although it can't possibly beat the buttery flakiness at Sweet Gallery, is still pretty tasty and made more in the German style with a nice thin dough, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and so overstuffed with chunks of crunchier apples and raisins that the first forkful makes the whole thing collapse. Not that that's a bad thing. ;D Personally, I would have liked for them to use butter in the dough, since you don't quite get that traditional taste without it, but other than that, a yummy alternative if you can't make it to Toronto for Sweet Gallery's version (sorry, I don't think anyone can beat them...). ^-^;;;

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment