Nadège

Bakery: Nadège
Address: 780 Queen St. W, Toronto ON
Website: http://www.nadege-patisserie.com/
Style: French
Price: $$$

We went yesterday along West Queen West (which we decided to go to on one of the coldest Saturdays and consequently ended up totally *freezing* x___x) to go bakery hunting! We'd gone here two or three times before in the past, I was 100% positive there was a place selling macarons here. And indeed there was, among a whole bunch of delicious looking treats. I was a happy, happy fangirl, although a little in a panic because I had no idea what to pick.

I mean, really, when you want everything, how can you only pick (and be able to afford ^^) just one thing? The first thing that caught my attention was the rows of macarons ($2.10/each or $23 for a dozen), which look so yummy, don't they?? Then, I thought it would be better to go all out and try something new, like several varieties of cakes and tarts. Some that I still remember were a caramel tart, chocolate tart, lemon meringue tart (I think all three were $4.75) For the same price, they also had the alluring fruit crumble tart which I *almost* took. Yes, it was such a hard decision!!!!! In addition to the pastries, they also have a variety of French-style baked goods like Pain au Chocolat and various danishes. And this looked so good too... *sighs* I guess I can say that I would be ecstatic if I won a gift certificate to this place -- that's the only way I could go crazy here. I'm too poor to pay for it myself. :(

I was really leaning towards the "Miss Chilli" ($8.50 // $30.00 for a large-size) cake, because honestly, that might as well be my nickname ('there's no such thing as too spicy' is my motto, after all ;D)... it was a big pink round thing that I assume is... spicy?!? Then I noticed the mini macaron-laden "Marie Antoinette" ($8.50)...

But seeing as this is very expensive for me (I'd like to say for everyone, but the place was overflowing with people...), especially for an individual cake and not knowing whether it would be good and worth the price, I settled on the interesting "Pink Grapefuit and Earl Grey Tart". ($5.50). Being a fan of grapefruits and Earl Grey Tea, I couldn't go wrong. And it was so pretty too... like a little pink rose. ^.^ The taste was really... strange. That was the word that first came to mind when I took my first bite. You really wouldn't think it would match, but the tartness of the grapefruit matches  the tea-flavoured, dough-like filling which was a little more subtle-tasting. The tart shell was delicious as well with the perfect texture and taste. Top that off with a piece of candied orange peel. The only thing was that this was a little hard to eat with the overlapping slices of grapefruit, I went down with my fork and instead of taking off a piece, I got two full slices at one time and then, in the end, I had just the tea-filling and shell left.I also thought the grapefruit would have been better sweetened/more sweetened with some sugar as it was a tad too sour. Still, it was original, pretty and tasty.

More importantly, it's upped my conviction in getting my butt back to Nadège, investing a little bit of money and buying myself either the Miss Chilli or the Marie Antoinette... or both. ;D All I know is that I'm definitely returning; it's a little expensive, but the quality and craftsmanship of what you get makes it a worthwhile purchase.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment